Windsor Racecourse

Windsor Racecourse  The Royal Windsor Racecourse is located in the market town of Windsor in the county of Berkshire, South East England. It is a flat-type track that sits on an island by the banks of River Thames. It also faces the Windsor Castle. It is owned by the Arena Leisure PLC and has races screened on At The Races.

History

The first race at the current track was run in 1886, bringing organisation to a sport that had existed in the area since the times of Henry VII. It has always been a popular betting place, although this was once affected by Churchill’s attempt to introduce a betting levy in 1926. Bookmakers reacted by declining to accept bets, rendering the policy unpopular and it was eventually dropped.

Over the years, Windsor was both a flat and National Hunt type track, but switched fully to flat racing in 1998.

The course

It is a fairly long course, stretching over a mile and a half. Unlike most tracks that assume oval or pear shapes, Windsor has the figure of the digit ‘8.’ The sharp bends at turning points are such that it appears like an’ S’ joined end to end by a diagonal stroke. It is the only track thus shaped in the country. Speed is thus not the main strength for horses racing here; agility and stamina are.

The course has occasionally hosted jump races since going full time flat, most notably when it subbed Ascot’s jump races during the latter’s refurbishment in the 2000s.

The island location of the course makes it a scenic place in addition to the thrill of witnessing the challenging races. A visit can be made even more memorable by using a boat to access the location. There is a taxi service running from Windsor Town’s The Barry Avenue Promenade on race days that takes ten minutes to get to course.

For by air access, Heathrow Airport is 11 miles off, and helicopter landing can be arranged with the course management in advance.

Races

Windsor hosts 27 race meetings in a year, including August Stakes, Winter Hill Stakes, Leisure Stakes, Midsummer Stakes and Royal Windsor Stakes. Jockey Richard Hughes incredibly won seven out of eight races held on 15 October 2012.

Warwick

Warwick  The course is located in the town by the same name within the landlocked county of Warwickshire, England. It is a National Hunt course with 25 major races within a calendar year. Most races in the Jockey Club Racecourses owned track are televised live to audiences.

History

The track has been in the running since 1808, when it was introduced as a flat racing course. It was highly regarded even in those days for its demanding nature, with tricky turns, downhills and uphills that require top skill and concentration from jockeys. Flat racing was replaced by jump racing after August 2014.

The course

Up to 2014, Warwick was a flat type course. After August 4, 2014, the management switched to full time small-jump events, the first of which was held in 2014. They announced a plan to become the top small jump course in the country in a five-year span from then. The decision coincided-and might have been motivated by- the fall of Artful Lady at the course, an accident that necessitated euthanasia. There had been other falls in the recent past from that point, one of which caused an injury to Ryan Moore and caused the jockey to announce he wouldn’t be racing at the track going forward.

The conversion granted Warwick a new identity, and the jump races have brought an upshot in its popularity.

Warwick has a public park feel, especially for locals who usually come here to walk their dogs. There is also a nine-hole golf course and a golf driving range within the course that sits right next to the town center.

Races

The Classic Chase, Leamington Hurdle and Kingmaker Novices’ Chase form Warwick’s headline races. The races are run in January and February. These are grade 2 and 3 races that mostly attract five-year-old plus horses. Jockey Club’s intention is to host 17 jump races at the Warwick every year.

Thirsk

Thirsk  The racecourse is located in a town by the same name within the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire County, England. It is a flat type course, left handed oval, owned by the Thirsk Racecourse Ltd.

History

The course has been hosting races since 1612, with the most remarkable story of its early days being James I’s prize of a gold cup in that year’s race. The present track has been operational since 1855 when Squire Frederick Bell organised a meeting on the estate.

In 1940, in the thick of the World War, the course hosted the St. Leger Stakes, a 1-mile six furlong race that was normally run at the Doncaster track.

The course

Thirsk is a flat type course with a gentle gradient. It has fair turns all round, allowing race horses to exploit speed at any point of a race. The area is picturesque in its architecture and maintenance, with flowered lawns whose manicured is pleasingly standout.

Racegoers can access the course by rail, road or air, with helicopter hauled patrons allowed to land on the cricket pitch in the course up to half an hour before the first race. Landing is not allowed once races are underway.

Races

The track gets a good galloping between April and September, when 17 flat races are run here. The Thirsk hunt Cup is the main race here. The calendar runs between April and September, starting with the Opening Meet and Culminating with the Ladies’ Day Finale.

In between, the May Totepool Thirsk Hunt Cup and the Irish Day headline a host of other afternoon and evening races that attract fans in scores. The Totepool returns as the Summer Cup in August.

Other events

Thirsk boasts exquisite facilities and service for other events that can be held with the races in the background; weddings, conferences, concerts, exhibitions and banqueting, which makes it a prime spot for crowds.