Ludlow Racecourse

Ludlow Racecourse is located within the market town of Ludlow in Shropshire County, West Midlands, England. It is a National Hunt course owned by the Ludlow Race Club Ltd, with meetings televised on Racing UK.


Racing records at Ludlow date back to August 1729, although popular legend claims that that soldiers did come here in the fourteenth century to match their horses’ and practice archery. It set out as a flat race type course, with the track used for flat races back then still existent to date. Hurdles were introduced at the course in phases over the 19th Century, and it eventually departed from flat racing and adopted the more challenging and more popular jump races.


Ludlow has two tracks, one for jump races and another for chase competitions. The chase circuit is one mile four furlongs in length, with an almost square shape that has sharp bends at every turn. The hurdles circuit is of the same shape, but is more undulating and has much more friendlier bends.

There is an 18-hole 70-par golf course within the race tracks, existing since 1889. A major road- B4365- cuts through the track at three points, and normally traffic is stopped when races are in progress.

Upgrades have been made over the last few years to both the track and viewing areas, most notable the restaurant areas which make the place more attractive for the social racegoer.

Access is best by road or rail. There is a free bus service from the nearby train station, while road access takes the A49 for the two miles to the North of Ludlow town. Helicopter landing can also be arranged in advance with the course management.


There are 16 races per year, spread across two periods per year in January to May and October to December. Most races are mid-week fixtures named after sponsors who pay for the honour.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *