Ludlow Racecourse is located within the market town of Ludlow in Shropshire County, West Midlands, England. It is a National Hunt course owned by the Ludlow Race Club Ltd, with meetings televised on Racing UK.
Racing records at Ludlow date back to August 1729, although popular legend claims that that soldiers did come here in the fourteenth century to match their horses’ and practice archery. It set out as a flat race type course, with the track used for flat races back then still existent to date. Hurdles were introduced at the course in phases over the 19th Century, and it eventually departed from flat racing and adopted the more challenging and more popular jump races.
Ludlow has two tracks, one for jump races and another for chase competitions. The chase circuit is one mile four furlongs in length, with an almost square shape that has sharp bends at every turn. The hurdles circuit is of the same shape, but is more undulating and has much more friendlier bends.
There is an 18-hole 70-par golf course within the race tracks, existing since 1889. A major road- B4365- cuts through the track at three points, and normally traffic is stopped when races are in progress.
Upgrades have been made over the last few years to both the track and viewing areas, most notable the restaurant areas which make the place more attractive for the social racegoer.
Access is best by road or rail. There is a free bus service from the nearby train station, while road access takes the A49 for the two miles to the North of Ludlow town. Helicopter landing can also be arranged in advance with the course management.
There are 16 races per year, spread across two periods per year in January to May and October to December. Most races are mid-week fixtures named after sponsors who pay for the honour.
Lingfield Park is located in Lingfield town of Tandridge district in Surrey County, South East England. It is a dual-race type arena owned by the Arena racing Company, mostly hosting races for three and four-year-old horses in intense competitions .
It’s racing story dates back to 1890, when it was officially opened by the Prince of Wales. Unlike most other courses that were flat type first, Lingfield was initially a jump type track until flat racing was introduced in 1894.
There was a flooding problem at the course since the end of World II, up until 1982 when Ladbrokes sold the estate and the new owners erected flood defences.
The course has two racing tracks; the flat and the National Hunt. The tracks are synthetic/polytrack, allowing racing to continue in all weather. This is unlike most other courses in the UK which carpet their tracks with regular turf.
Several upgrades have been done at the course over the past two decades, starting with the replacement of the Equitrack surface with polytrack in 2001. Then came with the £5.5 in 2004. The Marriot Hotel at the course is also considered a part upgrade, as it has served to increase the number of patrons visiting for events .
Most aces at Lingfield are either Group 3 or Listed. The all-weather racing feature makes Lingfield a popular winter racing destination. The Winter Derby in February is in many aspects the course’s main race. It is preceded by the Winter Derby Trials earlier within the same month.
Other flat trial races include the International, Linfield Oaks and Lingfield Derby. The Spring Cup, Quebec Stakes, Churchill Stakes, Golden Rose Stakes and The River Eden Fillies Stakes are also popular races at the Lingfield site.
Lingfield Park was featured in the movie Rainbow Jacket, a film centred on a corrupt racing jockey, which premiered in London in 1954.
Leicester Racecourse is a dual-race type track located in the small town of Oadby in Leicestershire County, East Midlands, England. It is owned by the Leicester Racecourse Company and has races televised on At The races.
The current course came into use in 1883, when it took over the races that were previously held for a century where the present day Victoria Park lies. In the 19th Century, Leicester hosted some of the most priced races in the British Classics category, among them the Portland Stakes and the acclaimed Prince of Wales Stakes.
The track is oval shaped with an extending straight at the start. Its length is close to two miles. It is used both for flat and National Hunt competition, both right-handed. The flat is run on the straight when they are under a mile, and over the 1-mile 5-furlonds oval when they are longer.
The jump-races track is 1-mile six-furlongs in distance. It has ten obstacles in its course- seven fences, two open ditches and a water jump. The finishing kick is usually called upon in the last three furlongs where the gentle track empties out as an uphill. The open ditch previously fourth last in the line of obstacles was moved to the homestretch ahead of the 2009 season, upping the challenge further.
Besides racing, the course offers exquisite facilities for events like meetings and conferences. The Club Room is especially regarded a high quality facility. Access to Leicester is mostly by road or rail. A bus service operates between the course and Leicester train station during race days.
The king Richard III Stakes run in April is the course’s headline race. The Bank Holidays in may are also a major attraction, albeit more as a family fun day than a viewing experience.
The course has seen some big names in its time, including legendary jumper Silver Buick, Zilzal, Corbiere, Time Charter and Seagram.