Ffos Las

Ffos Las Ffos Las racecourse is a dual-race type course owned by the Fos Las Ltd. It is located in Llaneli town within the county of Carmarthenshire, West Wales. Northern Racing is the company mandated to run the course, with races televised on At The races.

History

Ffos Las is absolutely new by the standards of racecourses, having only opened its doors in 2009. It came up as a sort of reclamation plan, taking the place Europe’s largest open cast coal mining after the colliery closed operations. It is surrounded by Carway and Trimsaran mining villages, with the culture of miners still evident in the area.

The first race run here was a national Hunt, with the event’s 10,000 tickets sold out. It was won by Plunkett, who started as second favorite. Plunkett was owned by Hywel Jones, trained by Evan Williams and ridden by Donal Fahy.

Flat racing first happened in July 2009-the Jamie Yeates Memorial Maiden Stakes. It was won by Dream Queen who was trained by Barry Hills and ridden by Michael Hallis.

The course

The name Ffos Las means ��Blue Ditch.’ The course sits on a 600 acre property, and is used for both flat and national Hunt racing. The young age of the course means it had the advantage of taking many lessons from older courses as it was built, resulting in a hybrid facility that can be compared to the best surfaces across Europe. The track is 60 meters in width, well drained and level for pretty much its entire length.

Races

The course has hosted a varying number of races during its short span of existence as it continues to establish itself. It is still in the process of attracting big events and renowed horses, but is surely on its way there.

The 2017 calendar has 16 races scheduled. The Welsh champion Hurdle, a handicap grade jump race run over two miles, is arguably the Blue Ditch’s headline race.

Much of its racing is still in the planning stage, with a Celtic Festival intended for the period of St. David’s day. Equestrian events are also on the cards.

Fakenham

Fakenham Racecourse is located within the market town by the same name in Norfolk County, England. It is a jump races track owned by the Fakenham Courses Limited, and screened on At The races.

History

The first race run on the track was the West Norfolk Hunt on Easter Monday in 1905. The race was initially hosted by the East Winch; the decision to move it was informed by the thought that Fakenham’s lighter soil made it more suitable. A total of 37 participants took place in that first race, and it henceforth became an annual Easter event.

A hurdle race was then introduced in 1926 in the face of dwindling steeplechase racing.

Racing took a break during World War II, and resumed in 1947. Queen Elizabeth visited Fakenham in 2000, an unlucky year in which bad conditions caused the races to be stopped. The One million-pound worth ��’Prince of Wales stand” was opened by the man himself in 2002.

The course

Fakenham is left handed and gently undulating along its one-mile length. It is shaped like a distorted square, and has sharp turns with obstacles in close proximity at these bends. It has two courses, the traditional steeplechase and the hurdle. The steeplechase moves on the outside of the hunt, with a total of six fences within the circuit.

Within it are golf, tennis and squash playing facilities which were introduced in 1965 to serve the local community. No formal dress code is observed.

Rail is the least convenient way to get to the countryside course, as the nearest station lies 16.9 miles away. Road and air are however convenient, the latter via Norwich Airport or on site with prior arrangement.

Races

There are nine meetings held at the course throughout the year. The Easter Monday Race has retained its appeal and is the headline of all National Hunt competitions held here. The Charity Day race is also a major attraction.